[DML] The DOA and the DML

About Michael Babb's survey, Marc A Levy wrote:

> A good alternate answer would have been that we are not members
> because....
>
> michael.babb@xxxx wrote:
> >
> > Please give us your opinion of the DeLorean Owners Association.

The DML has existed long enough that it has featured many discussions about the DOA. One of the most common
criticisms of the DOA is that DeLorean World does not *currently* publish enough technical information.

Those who defend the DOA, here I include myself, generally claim that just about every technical subject has
*already* been covered in DeLorean World at least once, complete with pictures and diagrams. DW cannot publish an
article unless someone submits it, and good writers seldom take the time to write an article that has been done
before. If writers want to publish repeat information they should write new articles, in the mean time if members
want this information they may purchase back issues of DW at reasonable prices.

In my new role as a moderator, I sense that the DML is in a similar predicament. The greatest number of complaints we
get BY FAR are from subscribers who are overwhelmed by the volume of DML postings. Even the digest has become
burdensome to read (I've tried). The only relief we could offer would be to reject more posts, especially on topics
that have been repeated many times. Unfortunately, subscribers complaining that we reject too many of their posts
probably ranks a distant second among complaint classifications.

Both the DML and the DOA constantly walk an editorial tightrope, trying to please as many people as possible without
tipping over toward either side. For the sake of the DeLorean community, I hope that both groups do a 'good enough'
job.

Perhaps next week we should follow up the DOA survey with a similar survey about the DML.

- Mike Substelny
(not moderating this week)