[DML] Re: Another nit from the Judging Handbook

[DML] Re: Another nit from the Judging Handbook

> Peter Lucas wrote:
>
> The Handbook sez:
>
> "Cars up to VIN 07199 may NOT have a 'dead' pedal in the left side
> driver's footwell."
>
> My vehicle (VIN 6703) has this pedal (intended as a footrest).

If the rule reads, "may not have a 'dead' pedal", that is quite different
from "shall not have". I would interpret this rule to mean that if it does
or does not have the pedal, either is quite acceptable, no points lost or
gained. "May not have" implies "may or may not have". If the rule as
written means that the pedal should not be there, it was poorly written.

"Shall not have" carries no other implication. It clearly means that
if you have it pal, you lose! If it came with it you better remove it,
at least until the rule is changed, if necessary.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)