[DML] Re: wheel bearings

At 8:50 PM -0700 9/29/99, delorean502@xxxx wrote:

2. when I reach 65MPH or so my windshield starts to vibrate near the
top by the driver. anybody have the same thing? anybody know what to
do about it? I don't know if it IS the windshield, but its coming from
that area.

Erik Geerdink

I recently successfully cured a rattle that had been driving me bonkers. It seemed to be coming from *everywhere*, I couldn't localize it. Finally, my 12 year old son said that he thought it was the roof. Bingo! The place where the lip on the front of the T-shaped piece of stainless hooks under the body piece above the windshield was loose enough to allow the stainless to rattle in the wind. (This is just a lock-fit--there are no fasteners between the roof and the car at this point.) I removed the stainless T-panel, glued a thin piece of soft foam rubber to the bottom front of it (the whole width of the front, just behind the lip), put it all back together, and we're now quiet as a Lexus (well, almost).

As a side note, if you decide to remove your roof panel, note that there is a screw on each side (accessible from the top of the door sill, near the torsion bars) that is not mentioned in the removal procedure in the service manual. You won't be able to remove the panel until you loosen them.

--Pete Lucas
VIN 6703

--pete