[DML] Disassembled D...

Hi All,

I have been watching and reading posts now for around a year and a
half. The time has come (finally) for me to venture into the world of
stainless steel & gullwing doors. This Sunday, I will be going to try
and strike a deal on a disassembled DeLorean. Here's the situation:

The current owner, a Lotus collector, bought the car in 1990 for his
then-wife. The car was in perfect working order, but had been a
driver. He took the car apart for a thorough cleaning and restoration.
Shortly therafter, he went through a divorce and the car has remained
untouched since. I saw the car about one year ago, and here is what I
remember:

- The body shell has most of the stainless and all the wheels removed,
and is sitting on the floor (on a rack -- it's a large trucking garage).
I believe it is still on the frame.
- The engine has been removed and partially disassembled
- The windshield and rear glass were broken during removal of the doors
(the breaking rear glass startled them and they dropped the just-removed
door on the windshield. Ouch!)
- The stainless (including the left front fender) is all in good
condition
- The car has a heavy layer of greasy dust all over it. I'm figuring
this would protect it
- He has a service manual, and several boxes of literature, NOS parts,
and "has a big dealer sign around somewhere" (but I don't know if the
sign is included in the price)
- He claims that all the pieces are there, and that the car was fully
functional (and PA state-inspected) when disassembled
- I do not remember whether the car was an automatic or standard, what
year it was, or any other important info unfortunately. I was only
partially serious at the time.

I am a pretty mechanical person, as I have a 1958 Plymouth that I have
restored. Obviously, this is quite a different challenge. I believe
that with some guidance I can successfully reassamble the car. Luckily,
as fate would have it, there is another D (not running, but complete)
only about half a mile away that I can use for "reference" when
necessary.

The owner is asking $5000. When I asked last year, the responses leaned
heavily towards the "the car is totalled" end of the scale. The average
on the responses was $3500. I plan to offer him $3000, and settle on
$3500-$4000. I figure this is a no-lose price, as I could always part
out the D if I got too discouraged (or broke).

I would appreciate any further input on:

- Your impressions of the car's value
- Advice from anyone who has ever finished someone else's D project
- Things to look for on a car that is in this condition (obviously, I
can't look at the frame, or judge engine performance at this time)

Please email me personally at dave.stragand@xxxx with any
input/help/advice you may have.

Dave Stragand
Pittsburgh, PA