[DML] Re: overheated DeLorean

Darryl,
I agree with your concerns but I disagree with you statistics. We have been
servicing and researching DeLoreans since 1984. With hundreds of DeLoreans
in our data base I know of none having engine fires.

I don't know of any internal combustion engine that does not have fuel
lines running near ignition sources. A fire extinguisher is a good idea in
any car, the DeLorean is no more prone to engine fires than any other
gasoline powered vehicle.

The biggest potential for engine fires is caused by inexperienced
shade-tree mechanics not using the proper techniques when servicing their
cars.

Lets be careful what we say about these cars on this public forum. The car
already has an unfounded questionable reputation. Lets not "throw more gas
on the fire" by making people think that the car will burst into flames at
any moment.

Lets tell the facts as they are. The DeLorean CIS fuel injection system is
one of the most reliable fuel systems, built by the leader in the industry;
Bosch. All the critical fuel lines are heavy duty high pressure lines with
all copper and brass fittings. These fuel lines and fittings don't just
fail by use or age.

Owners who elect to service their own cars need to know and understand fuel
system procedures & precautions. A good example is house wiring. We know
that all home owner can change a light bulb, some can replace a light
fixture, and few can run circuits from the service panel. All of these
items can be potentially dangerous or lethal.

You know as well as I that when we post messages like this one there will
be many replies for the next several days that will say: "I recently heard
that DeLoreans can catch on fire easily".

In closing I agree with you that we should caution owners about potential
fuel system fires and keep them posted on proper service techniques and
periodic inspections.

DMC Joe / DeLorean Services / <dmcjoe@xxxx>
Web Site: <http://www.deloreanservices.com>