[DML] Re: overheated DeLorean

This is not something to joke about. There have been far too many DeLorean
engine fires, and it is a subject that seems to be very seldom discussed.
Over the years I have parted out 3 DeLoreans that were destroyed by engine
fires, one a twin turbo. Plus I have seen several others that I passed on
due to their condition or price. DOA even published a bunch of photos some
years ago of destroyed cars, but when I pointed out to them that considering
the 8,000+ total run of cars, the number of ones totalled by fire was
extremely high, they refused to acknowledge that there might be a problem.
By comparison, Saturn recalled tens of thousands of cars when only a very
small number had had fires. I asked DOA's "technical experts" to look into
the problem for the good of all owners (since in our case there is no one to
recall the cars) but they chose to ignore it and me, apparently presuming it
would go away. That, more than my problems with DOA management, was what
finally caused me to cut my ties with that group. Again, I know no one
wants to hear this, but the risk of fuel fed engine fires in our cars is a
major problem. You need to keep a good eye on your engine compartment, and
fix any fuel leaks BEFORE ever running the car again. Remember, the fuel
distributer, with 10+ fuel lines going to it, sits right over the top of the
ignition distributer. And ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher - it may save
your car and your life.

Lets see if the DML has the guts (which DOA did not) to tackle this issue.
I hope the moderators will see fit to agree.

Darryl Tinnerstet
McCleary, WA