[DML] Re: overheated DeLorean

 I asked DOA's "technical experts" to look into
>the problem for the good of all owners (since in our case there is no one to
>recall the cars) but they chose to ignore it and me, apparently presuming it
>would go away.
>Lets see if the DML has the guts (which DOA did not) to tackle this issue.
>I hope the moderators will see fit to agree.
---------------------------------
Darryl, and others,

This was a very important posting.

I agree that the DMC has had more than its share of engine fires; or at
least that I have heard of more DeLorean engines fires than just about any
car other than old VW's (which I also own). The reasons can be many.
Howver, I don't think you can discount the fact that many of the owners are
inadvertantly, either the culprits or contributors to the problem.

I'm sure that Erik is not the first to loosen, tear or weaken a fuel line
while changing a plug. He is fortunate in that he noticed his problem.
There are a lot of lines, as you pointed out, there at the "back" of the
engine. Working on the spark plugs, distributor, or just plain trying to
"armorall" everything to get it to look nice can create or contribute to
the problem.

I won't discuss what the DOA did or did not do. I think such a conversation
can too easily cause this list to degenerate into something we won't be
proud of. However, if the DML members are to look to each other to find
"fixes" to this problem, most of us would look to professionals to make the
suggestions. That means, among others, YOURSELF. Naturally, input from
some of the VERY talented back yard mechanics who own DeLoreans is
invaluable, but if, in fact, a problem exists and if, in fact, a fix can be
made, I would expect the LEADERS of the fix-it crew would be people like
Rob Grady, Don Steger, Stephen Wynne, Joe LoRe, and Darryl Tinnerstat (any
other professional automtive technicians who work on the DeLorean on a
regular basis).

As an owner (not as a moderator) I'd like to toss the ball back into your court.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867