[DMCForum] Spark advance cut off solenoid

[DMCForum] Spark advance cut off solenoid

No can do -- don't have a cut off solenoid. Is yet another gizmo
blissfully missing from my re-power. I take spark advance directly
from a nipple right before throttle plates. In fact, except for 3/8"
line to front of car, that is extent of my vacuum system.

If solenoid is designed to hold vacuum on advance rather than cutting
off altogether, what happens if you try to time engine without
cracking throttle plates first? What if engine was revved to low
vacuum state rather than just cracking? Seems like too many variables.

And here's a good question: if 13 degrees is a diaphragm'ed setting,
what happens when spark advance gets old and starts leaking? Wouldn't
your time jump to wrong side of TDC?

Time mine the old fashioned way: disconnect spark advance and plug it
first (actually disconnect at the nipple because it's easier to
reach). Has worked well for a century or so of internal combustion
engines...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx> wrote:
> Bill, I asked Darren about your funny canister next to your CPR. It's a
> "fuel dampener" and was a precribed fix for poor running conditions on
> Renault 30's. He doesn't know what it does though!
>
> The vac solenoid which controls vac to the distributor is completely
> pointless, and invented by comeone with 6 toes, I'm convinced. It
> supposedly switches vac to the dizzy off at idle, but what it actually
> does is seal off the vacuum at idle, which means the dizzy stays
> advanced. When you rev the engine and drop to idle, reach down and
> unplug the vac advance hose. You'll hear the dizzy advance snapping
back
> into place.
>
> Martin
>
> content22207 wrote:
>
> >Re: timing while spark advance connected -- in theory you'd be OK *IF*
> >spark advance cut off solenoid is working. If solenoid is letting
> >vacuum through, car is in fact way retarded. Watch timing mark as
> >throttle plates open. 13 degrees idling with full vacuum will probably
> >jump past TDC as it drops.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3705203.4965331.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa
ge=1374-105951838331032> click here