Re: [DMCForum] Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

Re: [DMCForum] Worst Case Scenario: The DeLorean Edition

> I didn't heat anything up (yet). I knew that these bolts could be easily
> drilled out and retapped once I had everything out from underneath the
car.

Did you say "easily"?  hah heh hah
{cough}
Okay... Luckily I didn't break any off flush, but one did break flush on
my
intake manifold.  I messed up the threads getting it out.  As for exhaust
manifold studs, Martin suggested making a plate with holes as a drill
guide.
I think this is a fantastic idea, but it would take some precise tooling
do a good job making one.

> How much you want for one?

One of them is already hollowed out, and I paid $50 for it.  This is the
one
I was wanting to sell.  But for the extra price you are ahead with Ed's
pipe.  The other one came off of Adam's car and is all intact, but I would
rather keep that as a spare.

> 1. Heat the area around the stud and cool

That didn't do much for me.  I could heat the stud until it was red and
then
a second later touch my finger to the block next to it and it was COLD!
Next time I will plan on running the engine to get the whole block hot.
Then freeze the stud.

> 2. Stud extractor

I used the big clunky cam style extractor.  There wasn't enough room to
use
this effectively on the upper studs.  I suggest getting the smaller style
one that looks like a socket with a pencil sharpener hole in the business
end.

> 3. Double nut

This worked for me some of the time.  The pneumatic wrench on its own was
not strong enough to loosen anything mildly tight, so don't get visions
that
I put something on there strong enough to do lug nuts.  But in addition to
working like a normal human-powered hand ratchet, I feel that the added
vibration is enough to help studs that would otherwise break off.

> As for the heat/cool method, I plan to use good ole Canned Air.

I never tried that with canned air, but it sounds like a pain in the ass
since you can go to Radio Shack and for about the same money buy a product
made for the job.  There isn't much room under there to hold a can upside
down anyway.  Remember that canned air will turn into phosgene when
burned.
Don't breath it if you blow it on a glowing stud.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12ongbbsq/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3179269?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=555074785>