Re: [DMCForum] removing windshield bezel? plus headliners...

Re: [DMCForum] removing windshield bezel? plus headliners...

> Hey Lads, where do I find the screws holding on the black windshield
> bezel to the top of the windshield? Are they under the main section
> of the headliners? Or am I blind?

You aren't blind but actually blindfolded by the door gasket.  The screws
are hidden under it.  To remove the T-panel, you have to do the same
thing -- peel the gasket off to get at the screws.  Be careful not to tear
it.  I have had excellent results using an adhesive remover called
Goof-off.
You will need contact cement to put it back on when you are done.  You
don't
need to remove the headliner.  But the next time you have it off, take a
careful look at all the holes in the fiberglass.  There are a few sheet
metal screws sticking through toward the inside, and on my car this made a
path for lots of water to leak in.  I filled the holes with silicone and
put
the screws back.  Rivets or small nuts & bolts would work better since the
screws I put back do nothing other than plug the holes.  They shouldn't
have
expected sheet metal screws to hold in fiberglass anyway.

> I'm going to recover the whole
> roof in Black leather....
> ... or maybe that would look really tacky?

My headliners are done in black.  I special ordered them this way from PJ
Grady at no extra cost.  These are the fiberglass backed reproductions.
(On
a side note, I really prefer the fiberglass because the OEM paperboard
holds
moisture & grows mold.  I kept the old ones and they already have plenty
of
mold growing on them -- Florida humidity!)  I am very happy with the black
because it adds to the cozy claustrophobic feel and improves the contrast
of
using the day/night prism feature in the OEM rear view mirror (which I
have
since removed and am in the process of installing an electrochromatic
one.)
I wouldn't like leather for headliners because they won't absorb sound as
well as material made for headliners.  The idea of silver on the edges
would
be REAL TACKY in my opinion, but the DMC logo would look cool.  I bet they
would have came like this from the factory if the right person had this
idea.

I have seen headliners done in vinyl before, and it looked nice.  But
there
are issues with getting a good fit since you can't stretch it like real
headliner material.  I think it would be really difficult to get a piece
of
leather big enough to cover the front center section with no seams.  But
since you may require seams in the door pieces (those kinds of seams are
called darts) then having more stitching elsewhere wouldn't stand out so
bad.

As for the Toby Tabs -- the instructions that came with them are very
comprehensive.  It's a snap replacing them on a car with a manual
transmission.  But with an automatic you need to either disconnect or bend
the hard brake line to make room to work.

People who read this far aren't the ones who complain about my humor, so
here we go again:

> Walt I know you don't
> like to advertise the DMC logo, but I'm the opposite!

How did I get such a reputation?  :-)  I only removed the front grille
logo
and nothing else.  To compliment that my tag says WATSDAT.  It's really
funny because when people see the car they usually say "What's that?"
twice.
Once when they don't recognize the car and again when they read the tag
(or
vice versa?)  On one occasion someone walked up and asked, "What's that?"
And I said, "Yes."  We repeated ourselves a few times until I told him to
go
read the license plate.  It took us both a while to stop laughing.

My next gag is to hang a pair of swinging stainless steel balls behind my
oil pan.  I saw it done once on a monster truck, and it really cracked me
up.  Or maybe I should just cover the pan with chain mail panties instead.
:-)  (I will never grow up; I will never grow up.)

Walt