[doc] Broken bolt and spinning bolt on the big internal waterpipe!

[doc] Broken bolt and spinning bolt on the big internal waterpipe!

Hi folks,

Just a quick update on my current engine restoration.

I finally managed to get off the air intake manifold thanks to the
overwhelming friendly suggestions here on the list. Once again,
thanks everyone. Quality tools was the key here.

Yes, my assumption was correct - there was anti-freeze leak in
the "valley of death", small water pipe VERY RUSTY (check yours!!!)
Apart from that, and the expected aluminium corrosion, everything
looked fine, and no signs of coolant eating through the aluminium
casting.

Then lightning struck...

I tried to remove the 4 bolts on the internal waterpipe (the big one
in the "valley of death".

2 bolts got out ok, but the 3rd one broke, and the 4th is just
spinning round (like a record ;))

Of course the damn bolts seems to fasten to the block itself...aargh!
What do I do now?

Oh, and another thing to mention.

When I cleaned out the valley of death with a vacuum cleaner and
rags, I noticed that lots of what I thought was sand, indeed was
aluminium particles/powder. Maybe the aluminium corrosion itself can
cause engine fires - by means of temperature and aluminium dust...
Better clean up your engine before its too late.

Just a thought...

Anyway - I need good advice now on how to get the bolts out.
Has anyone "been there, done that"???

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway