Re: [DML] #5939 at DCS'12

Richard,

LM317 needs the input voltage to be at least 2.5V higher than the output. If
you use it as a current limiter then the difference is a bit lower at about
2V. That will mean the LEDs will be pretty dim but they will last forever.
That is why I mentioned a simple resistor. The LED strips are wired in
groups of 3 LEDs with resistors to make them run off of 12V. The resistor
needed to make them work in a car depends on the number of LEDs (number of
groups of 3 LEDs each). Each group needs 20mA of current so you can
calculate the required resistance. You should calculate the resistance
needed for the highest voltage expected. I would say 14.5V is a safe number.
So, we need a drop of 2.5V at 20mA. R=U/I. 2.5V divided by 0.02A is 125
Ohms. So, you should use a 125 Ohm resistor for each 3 LED group. If your
strip has 10 groups (30 LEDs) you will need a 1250 Ohm 1Watt resistor. If
you can't find a resistor of the exact value go with the next one UP. A
little higher will be ok. You will not really see a difference in brightness
but it will extend the life of the LEDs significantly.
LED strips are not designed electrically to be used directly in the
automotive environment. They can be used if you provide a proper power
supply. When they said that they can be used in a car they meant their
mechanical characteristic and light output, ie. water resistant, wide
temperature resistance and correct color temperature for automotive use.
Besides, never believe a sales person when they are trying to sell you
something ;)
Instead of getting angry you could do a little research on the net or just
ask someone. It's ok not to know everything Bill. Really.

Greetings from Poland!
Tom Niemczewski
Vin 6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 16473, 17086