Re: Recover Dash and instrument hood or buy NOS?

Re: Recover Dash and instrument hood or buy NOS?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dale Schaub" <DaleSchaub@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I will not save any money by going with www.justdashes; however, I
am just concerned about NOS. I haven't had much luck with NOS. I
replaced my seat covers two years ago with NOS (someone out of Canada-
-not one of our suppliers) and a year later they looked worst then my
original seats. That was $1,200 down the drain.

> Has anyone replace their dashes and instrument hood with NOS?
> How are they wearing? In Arizona sun?
<SNIP>

I'm up here in Vegas, and I can tell you that in less than 3 years of
being installed in my car, I ruined a 2nd binnacle. Everything was
fine, and then on Friday afternoon, I noticed a small crack about an
inch long in the center of the binnacle. By Monday morning, the dash
was ruined. The crack had streched to both ends. And since then, even
more cracks have spread out across the top. The dashboard however has
pretty much retained it's color. I'm sure it's a bit faded, but with
other interior trim components that already have UV damage, my POV
could be swayed. The glovebox lid however looked fine at the time, so
I didn't replace it. Needless to say, it has since become further
damaged, and where as the dash and other trim peices have faded, the
glovebox lid has fried to a golden brown.

Now for the past almost 3 years, my car was always parked in a garage
when not in use, and not at work. Yeah, I'm sure that the sunscreen
cover from DMC Houston would probably have helped, but it's just too
much of a pain to get on. Especially durring a desert windstorm. And,
I also do not nourish/treat the interior panels as much as I know I
should. It's been a conbination of lazyness, and neglect since I plan
on gutting/replacing/customizing the interior after my almost
complete mechanical restoration is finished (inspired by a warped
dashboard damaged durring installation, among other things).

So if you're going to replace/recover the dash, make sure that you
include the glovebox lid as well. Regardless of how good a condition
it may appear in. As for the binnacle, you may want to recover it in
leather. I've no idea what the original is made from, but it has just
become brittle as all get out. And if your're going to do the
binnacle in leather, perhaps you should consider this for the
dashboard as well.

Just Dashes look like they really do one helluva job going by their
before/after pics in their online portfolio of work. But seeing as
how the DeLorean dash is just a simple flat board with notches for
the glovebox, binnacle, and defrost vents, as compared to the far
more complicated (and rare) dashes that they repair, it doesn't seem
worth the cost if it's going to be the same as just buying a new one.
Plus, I also do not see any advantages with Just Dashes vs. OEM. No
UV protection for the price. Color matching to "DeLorean Gray"
shouldn't be a problem according to their website, but you still have
whatever turn around time you need to wait for the completed
dashboard to return to you.

As an alternative, try checking around your local area. I found a
local shop the specializes in interior restorations. They were more
than willing to answer all my questions, and were even able to show
me their portfolio of past restorations. Everything from custom rods,
to award-winning restos. Shop around and see what you can find. If
the dash isn't physicly damaged or deformed, perhaps you could have
it nicely recovered for a reasonable price?

That's just my .02¢, with interest! ;)

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"