Re: eBay, Auction Fraud, Scams and Swindels

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thinkstainless" <stldrgn@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear Members of The Delorean Message Board,
>
> My name is Sean M. Corbett.
>
> It has been over a year since the police came to my home and seized
> my property. Which has recently all been returned to me except a De
> Lorean that I had in my possession which was meant for one of my
> customers.
>
> I am not writting this post to tease, taunt, or intimidate anyone.
My
> purpose is to deliver a message who those who have been affected by
> my actions of last year, to those who have mearly heard the one
sided
> story.
<SNIP>

As someone who read about these dealings on the sidelines, I feel
compelled to comment. After all, this has been quite an interesting
topic that I've followed.

For starters, it's nice to hear both sides of the story. And after
reading what little you've posted so far, MANY questions have been
answered, before they've even had a chance to be asked. You technicly
don't have to respond to anything, so I'll give you kudos there.

This is after all, the land of opprotunity, and if someone can make a
buck, that person will always be afforded the chance to do so. That's
what makes the country great. Be it an honest buck, or not.

Now, make no mistake, I'm not here to judge you. I've no investment
in anything related to you. But what I can tell you is this. Your
site has some great insigt into eCommerce security for both buyers,
and sellers. Which admittedly isn't something that I thought of
previously. At least in the ways that you describe. But, I seriously
think that your reasoning is still way off.

Put simply, you didn't fail, you got caught. It doesn't matter if
didn't mean harm to people, the fact remains that you did. Back in
high school, I had a friend, who's immigrant father fixed, and sold
cars. He got busted for odometer fraud. It was an honest mistake. He
thought that the odometer recorded only the milage on an engine, and
NOT the entire car. In the same way of course that you would record
the hours on a boat, or generator motor. So when he swapped motors
from a low milage car that had been in a wreck, he also swapped out
the odometer as well. Eventually, the guy whom he sold the car to
found out, and sued him. Even in court, he admitted what he had done,
not thinking anything wrong of it. He naturally lost the case. Even
though he too intended not to do any harm to anyone, he too broke the
law, and had to pay the price.

It's the same with you. Well, except for the fact instead of this
being an honest mistake, you admittedly hid the fact that you were
not in possession of said merchandise. You yourself even state that
it was a fact that had to be hidden from your customers. In order for
your business plans to work, you had to lie. From my POV as a buyer,
you being in possession of said merchandise is far more important
than if I can purchase it cheaper elsewhere.

Yes, I am an eBay'er, and yes, I too have gotten burned on auctions
in the past. But that doesn't make eBay responsible for your legal
reprocussions, any less than it does the sellers who incorrectly
represented their cars, nor especially the buyers whom you blame for
being too "premature", or "unjustified". Your scheme failed because
of your own arrogance. It's not that you overlooked the aspect of how
things could go wrong. You simply never took them into account. You
also failed to realize 2 main things: #1. The most sacred things to
people are their families, and their money. And not always in that
order. You NEVER screw with either one of them! #2. You failed to
research the buying and selling of used cars. I bet you never even
bothered to research how a "lemon law" might apply to you, since
you "represented" yourself as a business (I can only imagine the
kinds of additional laws you could have/may have broken as far as
fraud goes on that one). You didn't "Fail to take precautions" as you
state. You just failed to be a totally honest businessman.

And please, don't try to play the "Six degreese of Kevin Bacon" in an
attempt to compare yourself to John DeLorean to gain sympathy. It
doesn't work, and I find it totally inappropriate. John DeLorean was
entrapped, and later aquitted. You straight out knowingly, and
willingly broke the law.

>From the neutral aspect of how you plan worked, I'll give kudos there
as well. After all, you did have the balls enough to go thru with
your plan, and it did work for a time. And who knows. From a neutral
aspect, perhaps you yourself may have some sort of legal
reprocussions against the original people whom were selling said
cars. I doubt it, but perhaps you can figure out something there.
After all, just because you're going thru these legal problems, that
doesn't make them innocent after all for not being honest with YOU as
a buyer.

All is not lost though. With your background experience, your work
ethic, and the types of tactics that you utilize, I'd honestly
reccomend either becomming an Amway distributor, or for even less of
an investment, once your debt to society has been paid, I'd apply for
a position as an advisor/investigator with the Federal Trade
Commission. Steady work for someone in the new Information Age that
is driven by a Service Industry with your kind of experience.

Pay your debts, continue on, and see where life takes you.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

BTW. If you really want to turn over a new leaf, and you truly
believe that "honest is the best policy", then start by entering in
the correct date on your web counter.