Re: Dead DeLo

I guess this is just further proof that you should try to keep the
electrical system as close to origional as possible. If you are aware
of wiring modifacations they should either be documented and checked
for quality or removed and returned to origional. In the area of
safety you should not be making modifacations. The inertia switch
should be wired correctly and tested for function. Don't forget that
there are 2 circuits going through the inertia switch. The other is
supposed to unlock the doors if the inertia switch is activated. This
can only happen if the door lock circuit still functions. For that you
need a Lockzilla or an upgraded lock module.
The electrical system on the Delorean does have a few weak points but
in addition to that you have any previous work that may have been done
on it (maybe poorly) and you also have 20 years of time. All of the
connections need to be inspected with particular attention paid to all
of the grounding connections. When inspecting plugs it is important
that the connectors are "springy", not overheated, and stay in
position when the plugs are reassembled. It is all too common
especially in the fuseblock for the wires and connectors to move back
and not grip the devices properly. The tang that is supposed to
prevent this must be properly bent. If the connector has been
overheated it MUST be replaced for it will never work right.
Bad grounds are always a source of frustration. They can cause unusual
symptoms that are hard to troubleshoot and make no sense. The
backfeeds that they can cause are really weird. The best medicine is
to just clean them all and hope the troubles go away. For preventitive
purposes it is better to just keep them clean and tight then to get
stuck on the road. Go over all the "big" connections by the battery
and the motor and the main one in the front by the front left tire on
the radiater support.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757