Delorean 1981 DMC

hey everyone!

I'm looking at FINALLY purchasing a Delorean. It is a 1981 delorean DMC-12, 45000 miles. This is the catch:

It WILL start up. You can let the engine sit in idle, but no gas gets to the intake. In other words, you cannot drive it. We believe at first hand that the fuel is not getting to the intake, possibly due to the fuel pump needing to be replaced, or there is something wrong with the fuel pump relay. He is offering it to me for $4500 as is, or he will get it fixed (the interior [steering wheel and the vinyl walls) need some replacing, but he is WILLING to do it at no charge) and make it to where it will run and drive for $8500. My two questions to everyone:

1. Can anyone verify our theories as to what may be wrong?

2. Is this a good asking price?

He claims everything else works. I saw the car myself (while jumping up and down); I opened the doors, struts work perfectly, the interior looks intact and good. The "trunk" looks great, the engine looks very nice for being 23 yrs old. He claims it's a Lotus engine, that this was the original engine put in the car (I thought it was a V-6 Volvo?). I mention that just in case if it is a different engine, there may be a different problem than what most Delorean owners commonly would suggest. I hope to hear some ideas - I look to have this car by Dec 2003!!! If I do, I will send pics!!! (excited as heck)

Jeremiah