Cycling A/C compressor Part II

Just drove 7 hours on I-95. Only time compressor cycled was when I
manually shut off for added power (hills before Richmond). All points
south it just pumped and pumped as happy as could be (R134 thank you
very much).

Regarding your other post: cut off switch is a LOW pressure switch. If
system becomes clogged with ice, high side pressure DROPS. Hence the
cycled compressor. Only way to get high side into hundreds of PSI is
with refrigeration cycle.

You've also got cart a little before the horse. Freon boils just fine
without any outside help. Compressor changes gas to liquid, not other
way around.

Purpose of compressor is to raise pressure in condensor high enough
for freon to re-liquify (it's pumping the same gas that just left the
evaporator). On a Lincoln covers distance less than two feet. 200 PSI
starts AFTER condensor. That's why those lines made of metal, not
hose. Local A/C mechanic claims latent energy in freon trying to boil,
but slowed by orifice, creates pressure.

Re: high compressor pressure blowing system apart (bad news there is
compressor output really isn't all that strong) -- my car has no HIGH
pressure switch, only a low one. If I'm reading archives correctly, am
not alone. High pressure switch appears to be late VIN addition, not
part of original design.

BTW: Does anybody know rating of low pressure switch? Translates into
25+ PSI on low side burning R134 (clear system).

Bill Robertson