Bad ignition switch or relay?

Just purchased VIN#2250 and have been trying to debug an annoying problem with
ignition switch or relay. Sometimes I put the key in , hear a click (behind passenger
seat) and it will crank and start fine. Other times I will insert the key and nothing...no
clicking, no gauge activity, no nothing. The problem also seems to be related to a
sudden loss of electrical activity when I'm driving that kills everything. Roll to side of
road, wiggle the key...wait...wiggle tthe key...wait...then it will magically come to life
and start and run fine. Question, is it the ignition switch itself or a relay problem, and
is there a test I can perform to determine where the problem is? I did a detailed
inspection of both the ignition switch and the relay location behind the passsenger
seat and everything appears fine, dry and clean.
Appreciate any information you folks can provide to help me solve this.
Ken H