deteriorating injector seals->vacuum leak

deteriorating injector seals->vacuum leak

Ever since I replaced my water pump, I have been struggling with an
idle problem that had all the symptoms of a vacuum leak. I'd been
through all the usual possibilities several times and just couldn't
isolate the problem. Then, at last weekend's Pittsburgh tech session (A
big thanks to Dom Diaz for hosting and Dave Stragand for hands-on
help), we tried the last thing I could think of: we replaced the rubber
seals on my fuel injectors. The problem was immediately cured.

Note that my engine was running perfectly before I did the water pump,
but was never right after. I did remove the injectors to get the hoses
out of the way while working on the pump. What I suspect happened was
that the 20-year-old rubber seals, while well seated and not leaking,
were too stiff with age to reseat properly when I put them back. Fresh
seals cured the problem immediately. My guess is that the time has come
to add this inexpensive procedure to the routine maintenance checklist.

BTW: although these seals are standard Bosch parts that can be ordered
at NAPA, they are much cheaper from Grady (and, I assume, the other
dealers as well), just in case you were tempted...

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703