Re: [DML] Re: Online pictiorial procedures for regular maint.

Re: [DML] Re: Online pictiorial procedures for regular maint.

On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 03:00 PM, therealdmcvegas wrote:

Nah, you don't need to disconnect a single fuel line to reach the
distributor on the back.

<SNIP>

I'm sure this statement is correct. I bet you could even do it blindfolded if you enjoyed the challenge :-).

But, I have to say that once you've removed the air casing/fuel distributor assembly once or twice, you come to realize that it really is a fairly trivial operation that doesn't take long at all. IMO it is far easier to get it out of the way than to struggle with a barely-possible procedure.

One thing to note is that you don't have to remove all the fuel hoses. If you just remove the ones that originate on the right side of the engine (only about 6 or 7, I think), you can gently fold the assembly to the left out of the way without removing the rest (thanks to Rob Grady for pointing this out). Removing the idle motor is the hardest part, and you have to do that anyway to access the spark plug underneath.

Have you ever spent half an hour lying on your back under a car struggling with some procedure to save 2 minutes effort to crawl out and get the right tool? Overcoming that tendency was the most important single mechanic's skill that I have ever acquired. I think that servicing the distributor blind is in the same category.

All a matter of taste, I suppose.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703