Re: More Paint Removal

IMHO the BEST way to remove the paint is to remove the S/S panels and
doors and use a chemical stripper on them. For any other parts like
the facias I would sand, fill, and seal them and just repaint right
over the paint. The torsion bars can be done with some chemical
stripper and scotch brite. It is too dangerous to use the stripper and
take the chance of getting it on the plastic and fiberglass and rubber
without taking the car apart. Using blast media will leave the
surfaces rough and you can never clean it all out and you take the
chance if damaging the glass. When using the chemical stripper the
active ingredient is methyl chloride. It is VERY toxic so use as much
personal protection as you can in a well ventilated area and dispose
of the waste properly. Expect to regrain the car, one of the prep
steps to painting the car was to sand the metal with a DA sander.
Depending on the condition of the paint job you might consider leaving
it painted. Maybe a good shop can touch up the paint job and compound
it making it look fresh. I would still worry about a damaged panel. It
is difficult to tell without a sonic tester or removing the paint. The
paint stripper won't cause any harm to the metal as long as it is
competely removed and the part rinsed after you are finished.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "captain_hydrogen"