Re: clutch fork clip broke: Any suggestions?

Re: clutch fork clip broke: Any suggestions?

When we were changing Jim Reeve's clutch at my house last week, he
replaced the fork with a brand new one from Grady. Not cheap, but
available.

Given that.....

IMO the clip really serves no useful function once the trans is in
the car. It is there to hold the fork in place during installation,
and he helps slightly keeping the rubber boot in place. Once it's all
together the fork cannot fall off the pivot. (If it could, that
cheesy little clip wouldn't hold it in place!) Just hold the fork in
place with a well-placed zip-tie, install the trans, and then cut and
remove the zip-tie.

More important is the rubber grease boot that goes around the pivot
ball - THAT should be there to keep the grease in place as long as
possible.

Dave Swingle