Re: 5w30? Yes Please!

When I first got my DeLorean it had regular oil in the engine.
My mechanic told me in no uncertain terms that the PRV-V6 engine is perfectfor 5W-30 Synthetic even though it originally was intended for regular oil.

A quick call to PRV experts confirmed this, and I got to learn that a lot of the Renault Alpine owners swear to synthetic. I don't think this has anything to do with increased performance, simply a better choice than regular,although a bit more expensive.

I have used this oil since 1999. No problems whatsoever! The engine is running smoothly.
I drove from Norway to Eurofest, Belfast and back many, many, many miles. No problems!

The synthetic oil lubricates the engine easier than regular oil and flows around more freely and gets to all the spaces where there should be oil.

The first couple of oil changes were done the first days after I got my DeLorean in order to "flush" the system from remnants of regular oil. The new synthetic oil has a golden glow to it. Added benefit - you don't have to change the oil that often (regular oil=oil change each year). I now do the oil change every second year.

Now, it does matter where you live geographically (temperatures etc.)
Norway is located in Northern Europe, so I think the 5W-30 should be an excellent choice for those living in Canada since Norway and Canada is on the same line on the globe. Point is - 5W30 is ideal for our temperature and climate all year round (spring=moisture, summer=sun, autumn=rain, winter=snow and ice)

I would like to hear what oil other DeLorean owners use, esp. European and Canadian DeLorean owners.
You can e-mail me privately.

Best wishes
Mr. Stian Birkeland
Norway