RE: engine swaps and tranny questions

The weakness of the DeLorean 5 speed transmission is not really the input shaft. Its the splined coupler that mates the shaft to the transmission main shaft. It is made from very soft material, and is only splined in places, not all the way around. It may have been intended as a "fuse" to fail before you break something more expensive. Anyway, having done so on an on-ramp in 3rd gear, I decided it was time to engineer a better part. I went to every major machine shop in the NW but only one was capable of cutting such small diameter inside splines. The part was then heat treated to "bulletproof" on the Rockwell scale. It presses onto the input shaft and is held onto the mainshaft by a roll pin.

I may be able to have more of these made, although the shop didn't seem very interested in doing little one-off projects like this. Cost would be around $350+. Let me know if seriously interested.

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA
www.delorean-parts.com