Re: Dyeing interior parts (was: Good day to you all..)

Re: Dyeing interior parts (was: Good day to you all..)

Hi All,

Redyeing vinyl interior components is very common in auto restoration,
and quite easy to do.

With vinyl sprays, the key is to clean the living he** out of the
surface before you spray. I used acetone until the surface of the vinyl
nearly started to dissolve. At that point, it's a great surface for the
dye to adhere to.

Actually, it's more of a vinyl -spray- than a vinyl dye. It actually
sprays a new coat of vinyl over the old. It's so good, you can change
black panels to gray (or even white) with no problems. In fact, most of
Houstons "gray" panels and binnacles are actually redyed black ones
(according to Warren).

I used Plasti-Kote #408 Gray, and it was wonderful. Plasti-Kote also
makes a Charcoal, but I can't tell you how that compares to the D's
black components. You could go blue, silver, tan, red -- you name it.

There are some pics of my redyed interior up at
<http://www.projectvixen.com/week135.htm>
http://www.projectvixen.com/week135.htm . But I'm not the only one who
has had success with this. I got this email from another list member a
few weeks ago:

"Hey dave, fellow dmler and delorean owner here. I followed your advice
with the Plasti-Kote 408 and my interior looks brand new. I died every
piece in the car. By the way when I was at the fall tour here in NJ,
everyone was like, "damn that interior is new". They coudn't believe
that it was redied and not replaced. They all wanted to know what I
did."

-Dave