Clarification of the Coolant Self Bleeding Kit

Clarification of the Coolant Self Bleeding Kit

There are no wrong answers here by anyone in this debate! But just to make
sure that everyone here is understanding about the the benefits, and myths of
the the purpose of the Self Bleeding kit, let me put everything into perspective
for those who are still wondering if they should buy the kit, and just what does
it really do?

As everyone can already guess, the purpose of the Self Bleeder Kit is to
automaticly remove any air bubbles that will get trapped in the cooling system
whenever it is freshly filled with coolant. Now this may not sound like much,
but when you have 18 feet of cooling hoses and pipes to fill, you'll quickly
realize that bleeding the system is no easy task. On a traditional front engine
car, there are typicly only two high points in the cooling system: The
Thermostat housing, and the radiator cap. Compared with the DeLorean of
course, which routes hoses up and down throughout the entire car. So
bleeding the system is no easy task. On other cars, the process is usually
fairly easy: Remove the bleeder screw/plug, fill with coolant until it runs out of
the housing, replace the screw/plug, and then top-off the radiator. DeLoreans
are not quite so easy.

When you've got hoses that have highpoints in both the front, and rear of the
car, you need water pressure to push those bubbles back to the thermostat
housing, where you can get them out of the system. And this presents two
unique problems: 1. when you are bleeding the system, you're taking out
coolant. If you drain out too much all at one time, the Expansion Tank will
become empty, and when it becomes empty, you'll suck bubbles back into the
system, and need to start all over again. 2. It can be a messy process. You've
got to collect coolant in a clean bucket, and then return it back into the system.
But you can't pop the radiator cap until the engine is cool. Otherwise you'll get
the same problem that you'd have if you tried to remove the radiator cap while
running the car to try and return the coolant directly back into the system. The
engine heats up, opens the thermostat, and will blow out coolant that you just
added back in. So when you have something as simple as the Self Bleeder
installed, it makes you're job much easier, and quicker. Even my mechanic
states that to fully bleed, and purge the system of all air, they budget in a full
hour for the DeLorean, unlike other cars.

With the Bleeder Kit installed, All I do is this: 1. Fill the system up with coolant.
2. Squeeze both hoses on either side of the Water Pump until air bubbles no
longer appear in the Expansion Tank. 3. Turn the heater all the way up, and
run the motor until the motor has heated up a little past the 2nd white line. 4.
Kill the engine, wait for the motor to cool down, and top off the level in the
expansion tank if nessisary. That's it. But there is another little fact that I didn't
realize until I started to break out my various manuals to research things for
this post. Not only does the Volvo 760 with the PRV V6 engine follow these
exact same instructions for bleeding, but the car even comes with the same
exact hose setup from the Self Bleeder Kit! Except, Volvo calls this a "Vent
Hose". In addition, the thermostat housing does NOT have a bleeder screw
assembly like the DeLorean. The Vent Hose, just like the Self Bleeder hose
takes care of the air removal from the Cooling System. And both are mounted
to the highest points on of the cooling system to bleed the air out. So if Volvo,
who used the exact same engine, and positive pressure cooling system on
their cars deemed this kind of a set up nessisary enough to install on their
own production cars, then obviously there is something here that DeLoreans
should consider, if not follow suit entirely.

HOWEVER, EVERY ONE HERE SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF SOMETHING!

David Teitelbaum is exactly correct when he says that the Self Bleeder Kit
should *NOT* be used and treated as the end-all, be-all solution for
overheating problems. If your car is constantly over heating and/or you have
to keep adding coolant in at ANY interval, then you have a cooling system
problem that MUST be fixed! Aside from the unessisary expenses of paying
for additional coolant, there are of course the enviornmental issues, as well as
poison issues for animals. But specificly, lets take a look at the damage you
will cause to your car. All these senarios will also involve you overheating the
motor because you forgot to fill it up with coolant, and thus become stranded,
and possibly having a blown motor; Best case senario, you've got a leaky
hose, or pipe under the car. Here you'll have corroded pipes (antifreeze
trapped between the rubber hose and pipe will rot the aluminium), possible
frame damage, stained garage floor. A bit worse, you have a leaky hose
behind the water pump. This will then cause the expose coolant to become
corrosive, and can start eating a hole thru the aluminium engine block, slowly,
but surely. Worst case of all, you've got a leaky head gasket, and end up
running water thru the engine, and rust it from the inside out. None of these
problems are simple ones, and the replacement costs for the damage done in
all senarios is far more expensive than the the fees involved to repair the
original issues to prevent the consequences.

So in the end, I myself would consider the Self Bleeder Hose a nessisary
upgrade for the car. You may not *technicly* need it if you choose to bleed the
system the "old fashioned" way. But if there is a better mousetrap available,
why not use it? BUT, more importantly, properly testing, and verifying that your
cooling system is in proper working, and DEPENABLE order is indeed far
more important. The Self Bleeder hose should be regared as more of a tool in
helping you maintain your car, rather than a fix for it. But I'd still reccomend it
to everyone on the list here.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"