New VIN list and production chronology uploaded

New VIN list and production chronology uploaded

With the new edition of the DOD having been compiled, I have also
had a chance to assemble an updated VIN list and production
chronology. You can find the materials on the DMCNews web site at
www.dmcnews.com/faq/n_chron.htm

With this latest release, the production statistics that I computed
for the available data probably regressed slightly and may not be as
sound. The reason is that the statistical methods assume the data
samples are uncorrelated (i.e. that all the VINs collected were
collected at random and that this randomness results in a uniform
sample density across the entire VIN space). Because the VIN list
now includes a lot of data from some of the company records that
have been discovered, the assumption of uncorrelated samples no
longer holds. In many cases the company records cover a "batch" of
sequential VINs, for example, and this results in the distribution
not being uniform. This is especially the case since there are more
records available for the '81 cars than for later cars.

The VIN list now contains over 3500 cars in it. As usual there are
several entries that have discrepancies (for example, the shipping
manifest indicates it as a grey 5-speed but the DOD record for it
indicates it's an automatic). Some of the entries with obvious
discrepancies are marked in the list. Since the data largely comes
from the DOD, it's best to correct discrepancies at the source by
submitting corrections to the DOD where possible since corrections
sent to me end up creating a subsequent discrepancy when the next
DOD database is merged in.

>From the materials collected thus far, the rarest build combination
appears to be an '82 black automatic (with black '82 models overall
being rare). As a whole, '83 automatics are also pretty rare. In
September '81 the factory cranked out exclusively black cars, while
in the following month they cranked out exclusively grey cars. In
August '81 the factory had nearly a completely even distribution
among the 4 build combinations. The highest manufacturing volume was
in October '81.

I hope you enjoy the materials.

Knut