AW: [DML] Re: Mechanically Challenged

Bill, are you sure that you are talking about a Delorean ?

I've never worked on a car where most parts can be changed or repaired so
easily.
Changing the spark plugs isn't that easy, but most other parts are very
simple to
access. It was a pleasure to take the whole car apart to restore it.
Have you ever worked on a 20 year old car where you didn't need to weld
anything ?
Where you can separate the chassis from the frame with a handfull bolts in a
few
hours ? A car where about 90% is straight forward to work on ?
Maybe you just didn't have the right tools where you had to bend your
fingers...
for example to bleed the clutch - it looks so hard, but with a simple
selfmade tool
it's so easy.

This car is so great that I have a problem now. I need a new everyday car.
But what cars out there come with a complete parts list, a great
do-it-yourself
handbook and where there are so many people you can ask all around the world
to get your car fixed ? Try to get a complete parts list for a simple VW
Golf or similar, and you will love the Delorean !

Elvis & 6548

....cut....
Please note there is one major engineering aspect unique to DeLorean
that permeates the entire automobile. From bumper to bumper, top to
bottom, I have never worked on a car that has so many issues of
access. Absolutely nothing on it is easy to reach. Every car ever
built has SOMETHING difficult to grasp or turn. I've just never
encountered one where EVERYTHING is difficult. This is the greatest
reason I hesitate to recommend a DeLorean to learn mechanic skills on
(the other is cost of acquisition and parts thereafter). FWIW: in
these circumstances I've found it often helps to take JZD's name in
vain (well, it doesn't really extend the reach of your fingers or help
them bend backwards any more, but does make you feel better).

Bill Robertson