Re: Mechanically Challenged

Like most things in life, auto mechanicing (good Southern term) is a
learned skill. Some people have an aptitude that lowers the height of
their learning curve, but I guarantee they didn't come out of the womb
with those skills. You read, you study (look at), you attempt, you
succeed, you fail, and through it all your base of knowledge and skill
grows. There are repairs I make now I could not make two years ago.
Two years from now I will make repairs I can not make now.

The secret is knowing when to say "when". Know your current level of
skill, and how much farther it can be pushed. If a repair doesn't fit
in that window: farm it out. Note that the farm can sometimes come to
your own driveway -- a tremendous learning experience (example: see
message #31340).

Despite its aura and mystique, the DeLorean is really a very
conventional automobile. Yes, it does have peculiarities, but these
are individual components or subsystems. Bulk of the car is best
turn-of-the-decade technology.

Please note there is one major engineering aspect unique to DeLorean
that permeates the entire automobile. From bumper to bumper, top to
bottom, I have never worked on a car that has so many issues of
access. Absolutely nothing on it is easy to reach. Every car ever
built has SOMETHING difficult to grasp or turn. I've just never
encountered one where EVERYTHING is difficult. This is the greatest
reason I hesitate to recommend a DeLorean to learn mechanic skills on
(the other is cost of acquisition and parts thereafter). FWIW: in
these circumstances I've found it often helps to take JZD's name in
vain (well, it doesn't really extend the reach of your fingers or help
them bend backwards any more, but does make you feel better).

Should you nevertheless find a DeLorean in your driveway in need of
repair, by all means take full advantage of resources available. Many
vendors deal with this car exclusively, allowing you to pinpoint parts
with unbelievable speed and accuracy. These vendors are also willing
to discuss at length use and installation of those parts. DML is read
religiously and messages responded to. Fellow owners often travel
great distances to provide assistance. If you're lucky enough to live
near an owners' group or club, you have an immediate pool of
experience to draw from.

Bill Robertson