Re: Sequential VIN Delorean reunions

[MODERATOR NOTE: This is turning into an argument over opinions. Unless someone has FACTS to contribute please do not respond to this thread. -Mike Substelny, DML moderator team]

David,
I enjoyed meeting you through the DeLorean MidAtlantic club and
really learned a lot from you, doing door adjustments all day and
hearing your explanations on detailing and routing maintenance.
Having said that, I can't believe how far out in left field you
are with this one. I think you completely missed the point of what I
was trying to say and how Rich backed me up. Our cars are rare. We
identify ourselves in our own culture by VINs. For a while now I've
heard of someone selling the last '81 and the first '82 as a pair.
That holds some significance to us as those cars were reportedly
produced sequentially on the assembly line yet have their subtle and
not so subtle differences-depends on how you look at it. VINs are how
we identify ourselves in the D culture-it's who we are. To those
folks who recently purchase their car the VIN is not unlike a badge of
honor. (Just read Shannon's recent post on his new baby-the most
recent reference that comes to mind.)
Some of us can appreciate that. As I stated I think it would be
great to have 16816 and 16817 sitting together in my garage or out at
a show. With what I have done to my car versus the concours condition
of the other I think it would border on amusing; even absurd to some,
but it would be unique. I don't know anyone other than the gentleman
described above and Rob Grady who can even claim this.
So Rich and I can enjoy this situation. Many others can as well,
as I can show you from the letters I've received. I like to make a
big deal out of consecutive VINs, especially since there are times
where it appears there is no logic the the numbering process. It
makes it that much more rare and I appreciate that. Kind of like how
I appreciate the correct spelling of the word "vendor"....:P

Cheers from rainy, wet AZ (no kidding)
Matthew
VINs 10365 and 16816 (16817 was sold to a high bidder off ebay-if the
new owner is on this list please drop me an email. Thanks!)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxx>"