Re: Sticky Doors

To open a stuck door sometimes if you pull hard on the handle while
someone else pulls hard on the door to open it you might get lucky. If
you aren't lucky then you have to remove the trim on the inside and
move the link going to the front latch while someone pulls the door
open. One of the biggest reasons that doors don't work right is that
the anchor pins are not adjusted properly. They should not hit the
doors or the guides and should go right into the center of the latch.
When they don't you force things. When you finally do get the door
open first adjust the latch pins and then go over all of the linkage
adjustments as outlined in the Workshop Manual. By forcing things you
bend or stretch the rods in the door out of adjustment. These are not
easy things to do so it is best if you can find someone who has done
this before to help. To fix the driver's door all it might take is
again adjusting the anchor (latch) pins. The door latches actually
have 2 locking positions. It is very important that both latches
(front and rear) on each door both lock in the second latch position.
If 1 latch is in the first position and the other is in the second
position you can't lock the doors and they get jammed. If you force
the lock then you knock the locking mechanism out of adjustment. If
you have trouble locking and unlocking the doors it is because you
are not getting both front and rear latches into the same position. If
they are both in the first position you generally know because the
door will shake because it isn't closed all the way against the seals.
If only 1 latch is in the second position it is harder to tell as the
door will seem to closed all the way except the door won't lock if it
is adjusted correctly.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757