Re: [DML] 1983 Kepec Model

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
<SNIP>
> Anyone have any idea why a car that was built in Jan of 1982 didn't get
> delivered to the owner until April 1983? anyone have any idea where the
car
> was for a year? was it seriously on a dealer lot that long, and then Kapac
> bought it and sold it to the first owner? I'd be interested in anyone's
> thoughts pertaining to this!!
<SNIP>

Quite possibly, yes, it did indeed sit on the lot that long. My car was built and
sold while DMC was still in business, and it was built in Nov 81, and didn't sell
until June 82 according to the paperwork from the California DMV that came
with my car. An occasional comment that I recieve from people I meet is that
they have at one time or another seen an available DMC-12 for sale at a
dealership after the company closed. The longest I heard of was a Utah
dealership that had still had a new one for sale in 1985. From what I've been
able to gather, in late '82 when the company was due to fold, alot of people
stopped buying the cars for concern of warranty work (same problem Daewoo
cars have had until GM acquired them). On 10-21-82 when JZD made
headlines, sales increased for a time there after. But after the acquittal, they
slumped back again. Another thing I have head was that after the company
closed, Consolidated purchased back parts from dealerships for however
many cents on the dollar. But I don't believe that they touched the cars. It was
up to the dealerships to sell those.

Aside from that, vehicles from any manufacturer will at one time or another will
have sat for some period of time. It doesn't nessisarily mean that they're bad
or unpopular, although cars in that position will have higher #'s sitting in
dealer lots, and distribution centers. Car manufacturers expect this, so they in
turn spray down the engines with oil to prevent rust durring transport. A better
example of excess cars isn't the DeLorean, but the Pointiac Aztec. The
stockpile of cars there was so bad that GM had to idle the entire plant to
prevent any further losses from the excess overhead. So everytime I read
some article about the history of DMC and how cars were "piling up" outside
the factory, the only word that comes to mind is, "so?" After all, it happens to
all car makers at some point or another.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"