Re: hydraulic fluid seeps

Seeping brake fluid is BAD!!!!. If you look at the calipers you will
probably also see that they are damp. It is a sign that the seals are
leaking and the fluid is contaminated and the cylinders are corroded.
The recomendation (requirement) is to flush and replace the brake
fluid every 2 years. If this is not done then the fluid absorbs
moisture from the air which corrodes the insides of the system and
ruins the seals. What makes the situation even worse is that with
frequent driving you heat up the fluid which forces the moisture out
but in a car that is occasionaly driven that doesn't happen so the
moisture just collects and gets worse and worse (like most Deloreans
that are not daily drivers). You cannot fix this by "just changing a
seal". You need to dissasemble the entire system, flush out all of the
old brake fluid, and rebuild all the calipers and master cylinder
maybe also having to sleeve the bores to reuse some calipers. Same
goes for the clutch system. For brake fluid (and clutch fluid) the
fluid of choice is Casterol GTLMA. It seems to be the most compatible
with the rubber compounds that are used in the system. You can get it
in most large auto stores that carry the Castrol line of lubricants.
It is a DOT 4 brake fluid so it is good in all vehicles, disc and drum
brakes. Don't skimp on this, the brakes are really important! Flushing
the brake fluid regularly is something you don't do on domestic cars
but is a common practice on most imports. Where the fluid dripped on
the epoxy coated frame the paint will harden again but it will not
adhere to the metal. The best thing to do would be to remove the loose
epoxy paint and repaint the area to prevent moisture from getting
behind and rusting the metal. It is also a good idea to change the
Anti-Freeze every 2 years also to keep it from becoming acidic and
corroding the aluminum motor parts. I also drain and refill the
winshield washer so it doesn't become slime.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757