Re: No power beyond 4000 rpm

Hard to say what it is exactly. It could be fuel or ignition. I would
pick ignition to start. The first area to suspect is the ignition
wires, spark plugs, coil, cap and rotor. If all of these check out
make sure the mechanical advance and the vacuum advance are operating.
A stuck mechanical advance would cause this exact problem. If it isn't
electrical it could be fuel delivery. A dirty fuel filter, kinked
pickup hose in the tank, bad or incorrect fuel pump are among the
first things to check. One bad tank of gas can fill the fuel filter up
with enough dirt to plug it up. After removing the filter you could
cut it open to see how dirty it is. Another thing to check the the
throttle linkage. Make sure it opens all the way when you step all the
way down on the pedal. Have someone sit in the car with the motor off
and step on the pedal while you watch the linkage on the throttle
spool. It should hit the micro at WOT (Wide Open Throtttle) and when
released it should hit the idle micro.
David Teitelbaum
vin 19757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Scott, Now that that has been replaced. I would be sure the 02
adjustment is
> now correct. In other words, get the car hot and readjust. Be sure
the spark
> advance/timing is ok. If this doesn't do it, then you many need to
look at
> the injectors. Clean or new makes a big difference.
>
> << My car has no power beyond 4000 rpm.
>
> It was having hard start problems. A new warm-up regulator solved
that
> problem.
>
> Now it won't run past 4000 rpm while driving.
>
> Last spring, I did a major tune-up and it ran fine. My fuel
> pump/suction line/strainer are fine. I have a new accumulator and
fuel
> filter installed. Also the injectors were replaced last spring.
>
> What should I do next? I can't remember if this is a
characteristic of