rear axle bearing noise

I thought I might relate a tale that shows even those of us who have been doing
this stuff for nearly 17 years occasionally screw up. After finally getting
BLWNAWY back on the road with its new forged blower pistons, I was hurrying to
get her ready for the 200 mile drive to a PNDC tech session. I loaded up my
usual supply of parts for potential sales and fired it up, only to have it die
after 5 seconds repeatedly. Assuming it was out of gas - I was going to
install a new DMCH fuel guage sender at the tech session - I tried that but it
didn't help. After some head scratching I finally fixed a loose wire on the
main relay, and was off. Two miles away it dawned on me I had forgotten the
new fuel senders so doubled back home, but also picked up a disturbing new
sound. Even coasting backward out of my driveway the sound was there. Since I
have had a bunch of calls lately for new rear axle bearings, I was convinced it
was my turn for that problem. So I parked the car, and already quite late
cancelled out on the tech session and went to plan B - a junk yard trip for
parts for my current restoration of a GMC Jimmy. When I finally got time to
tackle the bad bearing, I gathered up the necessary parts, tools, jack, and
jack stands, and headed for the shop. After jacking up the rear end, but
thankfully before tearing into the axle assembly, I made an embarassing
discovery. The bearing was fine, but the RH emergency brake cable was dragging
on the ground. My last maintenance effort was installation of Toby TABs and
braided stainless brake hoses, which was a frustratingly long project due to
the fact that the old TABs were frozen in place. After hacksawing off the old
bolts, removing the trailing arms, drilling out the old bolts, fighting the old
brake hoses out of their sockets, and installing all of the new parts, I had
forgotten one last step - fastening the RH brake cable securely in place. So
just remember, sometimes those strange noises you hear might actually be
something you failed to finish up correctly on your last repair. To paraphrase
the old carpenter's saying, check it twice and fix it once.

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA