Re: Steering wheel play

Jack the front wheels up off the ground. Have someone hold the
steering wheel still and while you shake the front wheel side to side
look for where the movement is "lost". You could also have the person
sitting in the car rock the steering wheel back and forth while you
hod the front wheel looking for the play and lost motion. If the
steering and suspension is tight then the only thing left is a loose
rack. Make sure all of the mounting bolts holding the rack in are
tight. Check all of the bushings on the control arms. I have also seen
where tires can also cause a loose feeling in the steering. If the
sidewalls are too flexible it causes a loss of "road feel" and
sloppiness. Check the sizes of the tires and air pressure. You are
right that when the steering is working right the car has a very tight
feel. Going over bumps and loosing conrtol is called "bump steer" and
you may also need an alignment to get that fixed if it still happens
after getting out all of the play. Do a 4 wheel alignment, it is a
good investment in the longevity of your tires and driving comfort.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757