Re: Battery load test at home

Although it is tempting to think testing the battery could be this
simple I don't believe it would be very accurate. Even you admit that
this test also indicates a possible defective starter. There are just
too many variables that will interfere with determining the health of
the battery. The draw of the starter could be higher or lower then
expected. The connections between the battery and the starter may be
loose or dirty. The battery may not be fully charged. The engine may
crank harder or looser then it should. The only way to REALLY test the
battery is to isolate it from the circuit and test it right at the
terminals of the battery. What you are really testing here is cranking
current draw. Many of the electrical problems in the car start with
the battery just as many of the fuel problems start with the fuel
tank. The main reason is that these cars just aren't used a lot so the
storage devices suffer. The batteries don't hold a full charge forever
and the fuel goes bad in storage. A battery in normal use has a
lifetime of 4-5 years. Fuel shouldn't be stored for more than 6
months. Don't follow these guidelines and you can expect problems.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Group, The easiest way to load test the battery is in the vehicle.By
using
> the starter in the car as the load. Connect a digital volt meter
across the
> battery terminals and set the meter on the 20 volt DC scale,
disconnect the