Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion

Hello List - I haven't seen this topic on the List yet, so I thought I
would toss this in for general information. Last night, I worked on a
DeLorean for several hours that was suffering from an "apparent hot
start" problem. The owner, who had just recently purchased the car,
went to a gas station for a fillup, and the car would not start
afterwards. We swapped the CPR and cold start connectors, and the car
started instantly, and idled with a slight "hunt". We turned it off,
and put the connectors back to their normal positions. The car would
not even think of starting after that. We confirmed a spark at the
spark plug high-tension leads. We confirmed a fuel delivery problem
by using starting fluid. The engine would catch, and then immediately
die. We looked at all applicable fuses and relays, and found a melted
fuse for the brake lights (!???) and a hot fuse for the electric
mirrors (!???). These were not involved in the immediate problem, but
are still curious. In any event, we sought to confirm power to the
fuel pump by opening the access to the pump in the spare tire well.
Bottom line - water had gotten into the area above the pump, and
corroded the electrical terminals completely off of the pump. The
boot and cover installation looked perfect, but apparently wasn't.
The car rode home on a flat bed truck. The moral of the story is to
arrange for an inspection of this area before you are left stranded.
This is the fourth car that I know of personally that had this exact
same problem. (Yes ... mine was one of them, 2 years ago)

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1