Re: Fuel Pump Terminal Corrosion

The moral of this story is that after 20 some odd years ALL of the
hidden areas of the car must be inspected. I also believe this points
out that many of the fuel system problems begin at the fuel tank. This
winter when you store your car for the season (all us owners up north)
drain the tank and make a though inspection of the fuel tank and
pump boot. There are many other hidden areas and someday maybe someone
will make a list of them. It also sounds like the owner of this car
never looked at the fuseblock before. It is always better to inspect
and find potential problems before they cause trouble (like melted
fuses) then when you are stranded.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "tmpintnl" <tobyp@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello List - I haven't seen this topic on the List yet, so I thought
> would toss this in for general information. Last night, I worked on
> DeLorean for several hours that was suffering from an "apparent hot
> start" problem. The owner, who had just recently purchased the car,
> went to a gas station for a fillup, and the car would not start
> afterwards. We swapped the CPR and cold start connectors, and the
car
> started instantly, and idled with a slight "hunt". We turned it
off,
> and put the connectors back to their normal positions. The car
would
> not even think of starting after that. We confirmed a spark at the
> spark plug high-tension leads. We confirmed a fuel delivery problem
> by using starting fluid. The engine would catch, and then
immediately
> die. We looked at all applicable fuses and relays, and found a
melted
> fuse for the brake lights (!???) and a hot fuse for the electric
> mirrors (!???). These were not involved in the immediate problem,
but