Starting help

OK
here is a problem
Not on my car its for someone else
I think I have an idea what it is so here goes.

The car will not start cold (or hot for that matter)
When starting the car nothing happens.
The fuel tank has been recently changed out and the fuel does flow and seems
to be working ok ( fuel pump working )

If I change the connectors for the cold start fuel injector and energize it
(switch the blue and light green connectors) it starts indicating fuel is
getting in at that point but it does not stay running.

Assumption the fuel distributor may be sticking a bit.

Now if I start the car with the wires switched and give it a little gas pedal
(although this really should not help) it stays running some times. The
starting process may need three four or five times to start.

It runs real rough and sounds like (no pun intended) its not running on all
cylinders.
After maybe 30 seconds to three minutes it begins to clear up and you can hit
the accelerator a bit more and then a bit more.
Then it Revs and the everything is fine and it idles great and you can shut
it off and start it as long as you don't let it set for a few minutes. (five
min. minimum)
Then you repeat the process.

I haven't had time to run fuel pressures or anything like that but I am
assuming it is possible a sticking fuel distributor. The car does no run a
lot.

Wires and plugs are old and will be replaced but if they were totally trash
then the car would not start anyway. (Have the parts and plan to rebuild)

Unlikely water in the distributor cap (Car is in the desert)

I have eliminated the accumulator as it has been replaced not to long ago and
the problem is more a cold start.

The fuel pump appears to be working but I really need to do a pressure check.

The cold start thermal switch is shot, that is a given and why the crossing
of wires works.

Are there any other thoughts at what may cause this.
It appears to be a fuel starvation situation but then it corrects itself and
purrs like a DeLorean with no stalling or hesitation. That is the confusing
part. Teh above problems all would or should continue to persist no matter
how hot it gets.

That is where the distributor theory gets shot down.

thanks

Ken