Re: Starting help

I've only had my car home two weeks (with issues of its own), but
here's a few tidbits I've learned in that short time:

The fuel pump does operate until it gets a signal that the engine is
running. There's a short burst when the car is first energized (I
guess to prime the system), but then it's just you and the accumulator
until the RPM relay turns it loose. Your throttle action with the cold
start valve jumped may be misleading -- you could be living off gas
that was injected directly into the manifold, not vaporized gas from
the fuel distributor.

By repeatedly cranking with the cold start injector jumped you may be
flooding the engine. A properly functioning thermal switch only
grounds it for a short time. That could be the source of your "rough
running" until all the extra gas (liquid) is consumed. Throttle action
there may be the only thing keeping it running (air). Over reliance on
the cold start injector could foul the plugs too -- it's a potent
enough brew to smell.

Re: wandering idle -- can't help you there because I'm missing the
gizmo DeLorean used to adjust automatically (idle speed regulator?).
Have seen a stock vehicle in action, however, and the car does indeed
search for an "optimum" setting. I think it accomplishes this with
air, not actually pressing on the throttle lever (there's a device
there too, but I think its only a switch -- also missing from my
rendition).
Is your idle speed circuit OK? Anybody know if the gizmo can be
deactivated on a factory engine?

When you replaced the pump did you replace its boot? The old one can
crumble while in the tank. If not caught by the fuel filter, those
pieces will end up in your fuel distributor or injectors. The DeLorean
vendors aren't just being rententive here -- replace them together.

Folks with years of experience will hopefully respond with more/better.

Bill Robertson