Re: Chock one up for the heat

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, BondAtomic@xxxx wrote:
> To make a long story short, I was driving in the city when the DMC heats up.
> I park, and the coolant comes out the overflow. I wait, clean it up a bit,
> and fill it with water. I then drive home (going a good speed to keep the car
> cool.) and it was in operable temperatures.
> My question? Well, the "fan fail" light is either on/off. First-the fan fail
> light-that means one of the two fans isn't working, right? Or does it mean
> they both aren't working? OR, does it mean one isn't working, so the other
> one shuts off?
> Then, if this "fan fail" light is on, is this "fanzilla" system a failsafe
> device to prevent any overheating problems? I read in the tech section from
> DMCJoe that the cooling system is almost equivelent of having "two
> radiators." Then he goes on to describe air bleeding and such. So, is
> Fanzilla the way to go? If both fans are operating and slower speeds, will
> the heat stay down?
<SNIP>

The Fan Fix @ SpecialTAuto, and Fanzilla from Zilla Products are both
devices that are designed to help the electircal portion/function of the cooling
fans. Niether are failsafe items to prevent overheating, nor will they increase a
cooling capacity. Only a properly bled system, and/or a larger radiator will
accomplish that.

The bleeder kit that DMC Joe sells is invaluable. Certain engines such as the
DeLorean require you to purge the system of air bubbles which will cause
"vapor lock". Quick answer: Assuming that your cooling system is functioning
properly (which it sounds like it is), you've probably just got too much coolant
inside. When things get hot, they will expand, and water is no exception. So
the water probably just got a little hotter than normal (although still within a
safe operating range). Since the water got hot, it expanded. The radiator cap
functioned properly, and it let off the excess pressure so the cooling system
wouldn't be damaged. And it did this until the water stopped expanding. I too
have had this problem as well a couple of weeks ago. And just like you, it
didn't happen untill I stopped the car. As long as the car stays within normal
operating temps, everything should be fine. But in your case, it's hard to
determine if you had the cooling system over filled, or if it was simply air
bubbles. I would reccomend to first get rid of the blue relay, and replace it with
a crimped connector, and install the Self-Bleeder kit by DMC Joe. These are
both inexpensive repairs, and ones that are beyond important for your car.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"