Re: rear fascia broken bolts

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Digital Devices" <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> While removing the rear fascia
> the bolts on the lower part that hold it to the metal plate located
> behind the muffler snapped one by one
> is there a way to remove these bolts from the fascia?
> Has this ever happened to anybody else?
> What are my option now?
> I don't want to drill through the fascia to reinforce it to the
plate,
> Any help is much appreciated!
>
> Thanks
> Kenneth
> 05541

Hi Ken. I've had this problem, as my Delorean was once very rusty.
I suspect others have this trouble too. Because the studs are molded
into the fascia, there is no easy way to remove them. A minimally
destructive method I've had good luck with is to use a Dremel type
rotary tool with their tiny cutoff wheel or a sharp blade to cut out
the old stud along with its rectangular or round base plate, which is
molded into the plastic of the fascia. Since the cutting and gluing
is all done from the inside of the fascia, there won't be any visible
evidence of your surgery from the outside of the car. I exercise
great care during the cutout phase not to pierce the fascia, which
would make a hole visible from the outside. After cleaning out the
debris (very important), and prepping with alcohol, I used an epoxy
product called PC-7 to glue in the new studs. I was generous with
the glue, to the point that the mounting surface of the new studs was
about 1/8 higher than the old studs. I felt that the extra joint
integrity was worth the small geometry change. PC-7 can be very
messy, until you get the hang of it. It smooths well with alcohol.

In my area, replacement studs were inpossible to find, so I used
machine screws. In my case, sticking with original equipment isn't a
big deal. If it is in your case, I think some vendors sell the real
studs.

Good luck.

Rick Gendreau
11472