Re: [DML] speeding tickets in AZ?

A Foreigner's experience in Arizona!

I drove cross country in my DeLorean in '98. I left CA and was heading on I-10 to Phoenix for the first night. It was dark, the roads were empty, and I was following a speeding Ford 'something' at about 95mph. I reckoned I'd see the flash of the Cops radar camera on him and be able to slow down before it got me!

WRONG, next thing I knew the dark surroundings lit up in a cascade of white, blue, and red lights ... initially I thought it was an "extra-terrestrial experience" but then released it was a Cop behind me!!! I pulled over and opened up the door.

>From the darkness the Cop ordered me to get out of the car and to keep my hands in sight. In my broadest N.Irish accent I told him to calm down that everything was cool. He asked for my papers. I showed him my British passport and Hong Kong and International drivers licence. He mellowed and came forward into sight.

He told me that it was just too much hassle writing me up as I'd be abroad in a few days. He warned me to slow down and that there was another Cop sitting at a certain junction about 30 mins further down the road. He noted that the Ford in front was also speeding but asked "which would you stop if you were me!!!"

Lesson of this storey ... if you want to speed in USA, learn to speak with a European accent and get an overseas drivers licence. I have also gotten off tickets this way in W.VA (98mph near Marlinton in 2000) and in CA (102mph on I-5 near Bakersfield in 2002) on motorcycles.

Regards, IAN