Re: [DML] Passenger Door

> It seems that sometimes the passenger side door does not want to open the
> front latch.

If you search the archives you will find a post I did titled "unsticking a
stuck door". To try and be brief with the explanation (something I don't
have a reputation for)....

Each latch has two rods going to it. One rod releases the latch. The other
rod locks/unlocks the latch. If the cable length adjustment for the
exterior door handle leaves any tension on the release rod while the latch
is locked, then it will not unlock. It is typical for this to happen on the
front latch.

There are two cures:
1) The easy & less elegant way... remove the lock/unlock rod from the front
latch. Now the front latch can never lock, but the rear latch will still
stop the door from opening when locked. This is DMC Joe's favorite cure.

2) The hard way... Adjust the exterior door handle in such a manner that
the cable is slack enough to not leave too much tension on the front release
rod (tension on this rod will stop the latch from unlocking) while at the
same time having the same cable tight enough so that it will still open the
door before the exterior handle is lifted as far as it will go. On some
cars it is seemingly impossible to find this happy medium and still have it
work 100% of the time which is why cure #1 is so popular.

Walt Tampa, FL