Re: Fuel pickup line

IMHO one of the reasons for the "S" in the pick-up hose and it's
extended length is to keep the noise and vibration caused by the pump
from getting transmitted into the fuel tank. The bottom of the tank
would become a sounding board amplifying the noise especially at low
levels of fuel.
The origional configuration is very reliable as long as the parts
aren't deteriorated and are correctly installed. It is too easy to
kink the hose as you install the pump. Too often I have seen this area
of the car "botched up" by previous mechanics who didn't know what
they were doing and or didn't get the right parts. This being a
"hidden" area most owners don't know what is going on in there.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757