Remote-buying DeLoreans

One thing to keep in mind with all this talk about "fake" photos
being used in Ebay ads - Rich Weissensel in my area has probably
bought more sight-unseen cars than anyone I know. He may care to
elaborate, but I notice that one of his tactics as a purchaser is to
ask the seller to provide many photos shot from specific angles and
distances. On a given car he may do this several times over a couple
of days. Legitimate sellers will not mind the intrusion. This serves
a couple of purposes. In addition being able to see certain common
features of the car that accurately portray condition, it also
assures, at least to an extent, that the seller really has the car in
his posession. Sure - someone could have a pristine car around and
take photos, but that's an effort that most of these scammers won't
go to. They would rather decline and move on to a better "prospect".
If the seller refuses to cooperate - move on.

Another good tactic was requested on the note posted here a short
while ago - in almost anywhere in the US you can find a DML-er
willing to check out and/or photograph a car for you. I've done this
for people - it's kind of fun and does help out the community.

Dave Swingle