driving with doors open?

I'm sure this will spark off a fair amount of debate, but I and a few other
owners I've spoken with do not know the answer to this observation/question:

In Cleveland and Memphis, I have noticed alot of D owners who pop open their
doors at every and any need to communicate with someone outside, even when
the "toll booth" window would be perfectly acceptable. Along with the
propensity to pop open their doors, these people also tend to drive a fair
amount with their "doors up" (say up to 20 MPH or so).

To me, the car feels unstable when driven even at very slow speeds with the
door open - as if the structural integrity of the car is being significantly
compromised. Not to mention, the forward/reverse leverage forces on the
torsion bar, hinge, t-panel, door, and roof that that heavy door hanging
three feet up in the air causes.

For me, I *never* drive or move the car with the door(s) open - it just
doesn't feel right. But I see alot of seemingly knowledgeable people do it
despite the obvious stresses placed on the door and chassis.

So, what's the consensus? Do we "drive stainless" open or closed? Why/not?

-Hank Eskin #1619