Re: [DML] Braided fuel lines... *UPDATE*

Re: [DML] Braided fuel lines... *UPDATE*

> If I can find a male flare to metric banjo adapter that has an 8MM or
> 5/16" hole in it, this project will work.

Which fuel line is this for? If it's the one for the fuel filter, I would
question if you even need a fitting there. Just make a line that goes from
the hose directly to the banjo and skip the flare. If you already have me
beat on this project then let me know and I won't waste my time with it. I
am getting ready to box up a set of old fuel lines to send to
www.classictube.com to have them quote on making SS braided sets. Tom (the
guy I spoke to) said that they won't even know if they can make them until
they see them. I almost bought what Don Steger had at the Memphis show but
was disappointed that he didn't have the two longer ones. These are the
ones from the filter to the distributor and from the distributor to the fuel
return line. As for hoses leaking in the engine compartment, I remember
hearing of someone's filter hose splitting and causing a fire. Ah, how
rumors start. The hoses on my car are probably fine, but I like the SS
braided look and the peace of mind knowing that they are new. This idea is
what got me started on the Halon thread. Silly me.

One important question for y'all: What's the deal with the line attached to
the frequency valve? It looks like we are married to that one.

If all goes well, Classic Tube may start offering fuel lines for the
DeLorean just like any regular car that they pre-stock fuel lines for. But
the larger banjos could be a problem. The narrow '82 style for the fuel
pump check valve is probably non-existent. The one for the fuel filter may
be a problem too (or they can match the flare fitting?) For starters, I'm
just going to send them the hoses for everything south of the accumulator.
Thinner SS braided lines for the fuel pump will need something more to
reliably seal the fuel pump boot cover.

At the Memphis show, DMC Joe, Rob Grady, John Hervey, Tom Niemczewski and
myself had a pow-wow on what to do about the no-longer-available '82 fuel
pump banjo. Tom is going to try to source them in Europe. If he can't find
them then Daniel Deutsch is going to look into having some made in Taiwan.
If we end up having anything like that custom made, then we'll have him look
into having the other hard-to-find pieces made to complete the rest of the
fuel lines. (I just love to name drop. I counted 5 in that last paragraph.
:-)

I should have this old set in the mail to these guys this week. I'll let
y'all know how it turns out. If anyone is interested in pre-ordering,
e-mail me off list. It might help to get the price down. It probably won't
help to bug these guys unless you can tell them exactly what they need to
make. Tom (not-Niemczewski) loosely quoted $40 per line but said the price
would come down if done in quantity.

Walt Tampa, FL