Re: [DML] Replacement transmission?

[ moderator's note: Correction for the statement below regarding the final drive unit, the ring gear can be swapped 180 degrees. ]

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 Foleyverre@xxxx wrote:

> My question: with a rear-mounted engine, what kind of tranny is it?
> transverse?

It's not a transverse mount. The crankshaft runs parallel to the length
of the car. The manual transmission works its magic by a reversed final
drive unit. But apparently you cannot just flip over the standard ring
gear, the whole final drive section is different. The auto, I have no
clue. But if you are swapping it it does not matter.

You might consider a standard D manual transmission. The frame is
different between auto and manual, so you'd have to find a car that was
manual to start with or do a frame swap, but it saves swapping a
completely foreign transmission and it is considerably stronger than the
auto. The manual transmission, if it's in excellent condition will
reportedly hold about 300 ft.lbs of torque, the auto less than 200.

> what "modern" car would use a rear mounted engine/tranny? porshe?

Porsche 911 transmissions are reported to fit pretty well. Although I
have not personally seen one installed in a D, the 911 gearboxes are
pretty compact, turn the right direction and (on some models) incredibly
strong. And Kennedy Engineering can make an adapter for them.

> Hybrid car with style... A honda spoon engine with trans was available
> for less than $10k not too long ago here.

Honda engines turn backwards. So that would probably not be the best
choice. Although I have heard that some model Honda engines do turn the
right direction now, maybe this is one of those :}

There are a lot of good options for engines these days... Volkswagen's
unique new W8 that is now an option on the Passat, Mazda has a new
nonturbo rotary coming, Subaru's WRX turbo 4, the well-known Northstar V8,
all of them smaller and not heavier than the PRV and all making 250 or
more HP... it is a good time for engines :}